We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The life around us: repost from ebay

The Life All Around Us
Posted Aug-02-08 10:25:26 PDT Updated Aug-02-08 10:28:40 PDT
It is a stunning life! Not only did my hubby and I send a simple gift to someone we love yet, never met. I could hear how much it meant to her to receive it when speaking with her on the phone.
.
This morning, our pumpkins have flowers the size of my palm and are currently trying to take over my garden. The purple pole beans are fighting for their share of sun from the march of the pumpkins. Corn stalks are rising to near waist level, watermelons are taking their time, tomatoes and peppers are still woozy from Hurricane Dolly. My turnip sprouts were eaten by rabbits, I am guessing.
.
This week, I saved a baby bunny that was trapped against some loose siding. Frogs are in "soil pools" to stay out of the Fire Ball. Squirrels are busy trying to get into our bird feeders. There is a new nest of unidentified baby birds right under another nest along fence. Seems every tree here is holding at least one nest of birds, bees, wasps, crickets, or cicadas.
.
The seeds Zephyr and I planted in starter cups Sunday, are poking their little heads out of the soil. Hummingbirds are zipping through the trees and taking sips from feeders. Ground hogs are leaving midnight mounds to let us know they exist. Hisbiscus are blooming with several colors on each shrub. My lone buff hen (Cranky Girl) is sitting a nest of six, and Orange Glo with Butterscotch have a shared nest of twenty banty cochin eggs. Our guinea keats are watching us build their new home.
.
And don't even get me started on the reptiles I see each day because this is Texas and they are every where just waiting to jump out and scare the mess out of an intruder (me).
.
Each day, we go outside to sit in our growing garden, listen to the sounds and symphany of life. I can not think of a better life for my boys or a way to connect with my husband. We are building a life here in our slice of heaven.

Comments

Back to top
rebel5619 ( 230) View seller's items View Blog
awesome and I am sooo glad ya shared when I was here
Aug-02-08 10:27:42 PDT Delete Report this comment

rhondas-simple-treasures1037 ( 845) View seller's items View Blog
I am a Texas Girl also. Too hot to be outide right now.
Aug-02-08 10:28:40 PDT Delete Report this comment

rebel5619 ( 230) View seller's items View Blog
sad many take those things and people that are a part of their lives for granted
Aug-02-08 10:30:13 PDT Delete Report this comment

saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
Afternoon ladies
Aug-02-08 10:30:29 PDT Delete Report this comment

kisatterwhite ( 123) View seller's items View Blog
you are a wonderful writer, saenz...and thank you for sharing a part of your world with us! :)
Aug-02-08 10:31:51 PDT Delete Report this comment

Back to top
saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
I just am so happy, rebel. Life is beautiful away from the keyboard. I am too taking a break from the Fireball, Rhonda. IT is way tooooooo humid today.
Aug-02-08 10:32:01 PDT Delete Report this comment

saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
Thanks Kisa, Wanna skink, lizard or a garden snake? ROFL
Aug-02-08 10:33:49 PDT Delete Report this comment

tjsttng ( 2610) View seller's items View Blog
If I see a bee nest, I be making a call to be sure it is not killer bees!!! WE got them in FL!!! However, when reading this, I kept wondering what the sound would be like with all those living creatures!!!
Aug-02-08 10:34:23 PDT Delete Report this comment

saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
TJ, Its a beautiful sound. Put you hand on a man's chest when he is snoring. Feel that sound and bees are kinda the same.
Aug-02-08 10:36:41 PDT Delete Report this comment

ewannaksg ( 95) View seller's items View Blog
ΚΑΛΗ ΣΠΕΡΑ, ΞΑΝΑ MOM I miss my years in west Texas and my back yard and the visits from the reptiles. One summer we had a bunch of horny toads around our shed! :~) ΙΩΑΝΝΑ Εwanna
Aug-02-08 10:36:54 PDT Delete Report this comment

Back to top
kisatterwhite ( 123) View seller's items View Blog
I think a skink...lol...what's the S&H fee on shipping a lizard anyway?!
Aug-02-08 10:36:55 PDT Delete Report this comment

kisatterwhite ( 123) View seller's items View Blog
the sound of nature is beautiful!!
Aug-02-08 10:38:28 PDT Delete Report this comment

tjsttng ( 2610) View seller's items View Blog
Here in FL, we have cute lizard (small one) and tree frog!!!!
Aug-02-08 10:39:36 PDT Delete Report this comment

saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
Ewan, My hubby has seen a horny toad. I wish to see one. Seems the most I see are snakes. I find snakes and lizards all time. Kisa, Skinks are like lizards just a little different. And it can't be that much. I love seeing lizards and such because it means ants and mosquitos are being hunted. Kisa, It sounds like a TEXAS JUNGLE outside. Thing is you have to listen. I tell my boys, our creator gave us 2 eyes and 2 ears with only 1 mouth. That means we should listen & look four times more than we speak. TJ, I haven't seen any tree frogs here.
Aug-02-08 10:43:13 PDT Delete Report this comment

kisatterwhite ( 123) View seller's items View Blog
I have a lil blue belly lizard that suns itself on my patio...cute as the day is long! lots of birds and a couple ducks from the lake near here! It's funny watching these two ducks waddle past the star bucks and then wander up my driveway every now and then! :)
Aug-02-08 10:43:21 PDT Delete Report this comment

Back to top
saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
Kisa, We are considering adding a few ducks to our little farm. I might even relax my thoughts on turkeys a bit. I have a call out for two piglets. Life is good. Blue Belly Lizard is that the name of the species?
Aug-02-08 10:47:33 PDT Delete Report this comment

saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
here is some texas skink http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS260US260&q=images+of+skink+in+texas
Aug-02-08 10:49:34 PDT Delete Report this comment

saenzmom ( 537) View seller's items View Blog
Here is a 5 lined skink which I see oodles of these little guys. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/Galveston/beneficials/beneficial-18_lizard_garden_skinks.htm
Aug-02-08 10:51:07 PDT Delete Report this comment

No comments: