We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Thursday, April 21, 2011

We Have A Visitor - Blue Indigo Juvenile

I am thoroughly convinced that snakes are territorial creatures who; have a space in which they hunt, breed, and live.  I have seen this one right outside my window for about two weeks now but, have not had a camera to catch a shot.  Well I got lucky this time because our special guest had helped himself to a meal so I got a couple of shots of him/her.  This is a blue indigo snake and is definitely only a juvenile at just over three feet.


 I was standing less than a foot away to take these shots. It is such a lovely snake and has been documented at up to 8.75 feet long.  We had one that our second year here that was pretty close to 9 feet and its body was as thick as my forearm; heavy bodied snake.  We respect these beautiful animals and feel blessed that one has taken up home in our inner yard.  Which means less rats, mice, and possible rattlers where our boys tend to play.
 Saenz loves these.
 Crooked yellow neck squash will be ready soon.  This plant has four fruits.
We picked some snacks right out of our garden: some onion to go with our zucchini and of course right out of the garden raddishes -- rinse and eat. (We got the raddish seed from a lady in England who sent them as a gift.) 

Life is good and we are counting our blessings and saying thanks!

3 comments:

Texan said...

ewwwwwwwwwww on the snake!!!

Your garden is a head of mine in producing. I am getting radish but not squash yet!

Nekkid Chicken said...

LOL Texan, our is maybe ahead of yours because we are closer to the flipping fire ball. Girl we have been getting in the high 80s and low 90s for almost a month now. Your is sure to catch up while mine burns up. LOL Gotta love diversity a few hundred miles make, eh? Take care, Mal

Jim said...

Hi Mal. Thanks for your kinds words about my Dad....he is slowly getting stronger.

When I first saw the title of your post I thought bird.....Indigo Bunting! I thought wow can't wait! lol
But once I saw the snake I decided to be brave and read the whole thing. I have learned something.....actually always do with your posts! It is a very beautiful snake. See, I can say that now. You have helped me.