We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Wednesday, May 13, 2009

So Bummed!



I really don't like waking up to a scene like this; Alpha was killed last night through the coop. His body is on a roost about 4 feet off the ground.

This morning's talk with Saenz over the loss of our beloved feathered bad arse was hard. Saenz said to me with tears in his eyes, "Mom, I don't want to love any more pets because it hurts so much when one gets killed."

I told Saenz I will missed being chased by Alpha too and perhaps this evening at dinner we can tell funny stories about how he tried to kil each of us over the course of his life here. I said to Saenz my shins will never be the same or the tennis racket will have nothing to do now without Alpha around. I also explained to my son,

How important to realize that loving someone or pets is just part of growing up. And we all must learn to love -- not based on pre-set conditions. Because without learning how to love someone or something based on whether or not they will die is selfish. Each time you love a person, animal, pet or neighbor; your ability to love others grows; as well as growing 'the muscle' to be loved or to feel loved in return.

I told Saenz, we could now make up the legend of ALPHA MALE for all our other roosters to live up to because ALPHA had some big spurs to fill.

Saenz was still disappointed but, I to truly believe he was helped by knowing how much I would also missed the little WHIRLWIND of feathers trying to kill me at least twice a week.

Alpha, You will be missed. May you find your coop mates Romeo, Henny Penny and Butterscotch in the great coop in heaven. For you had the soul of a warrior and the heart to match.

Thoughts from inside the coop.....

No comments: