We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Thursday, May 7, 2009

Great Plains Rat Snake


DOUBLE CLICK to see up close:

Hubby found this snake caught in the deer netting that protects our front porch. This one was approximately 4 feet long and had apparently just fed. He thought he had a copperhead because it was snippy and hissing at him.


After I confirmed it was not poisonous (copperhead bands are more around the body and not blothes plus this snake was too big); I cut the deer netting to free the snake. One thing we need to get is long work gloves because again since I am not a professional snake handler. I do not want to hold a wild snake where it can bite my fore arms readily. Unfortunately I left deer netting wrapped around it's body because hubby wanted to kill it for snapping at him. Poor thing was way stressed out, I would have bitten the hand that protects me.

Next project, get the deer netting secured to bottom of the porch and not the crawl space. I then found the snake in our Mountain Laurel tree so, I snapped some pictures of its head to make sure of the species.





















Thoughts from inside the coop.....

No comments: