We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Saturday, May 9, 2009

Doing the Green Thing

Well seems our fence garden is doing okay. Here is our first peppers and cucumber. The chickens are none the wiser; poor feathered locusts. ~:>


We picked some green tomatos yesterday, which I will add to a salsa to give it a perky bite. These tomatos are small like miniature pears so, no frying them as I grew up with in Alabama. I will be planting some Beefsteak from seed once I find a 5 gallon bucket because that monster will need a serious root space to grow properly.

One thing that did surprise me here was; no local craftsmen or women who really homestead. I asked the nursery staff in Three Rivers if they knew of anyone who sold beeswax. No luck again.

I understand TEXAS gets RED BABOON BUTT UGLY HAWT (102 yesterday at 4 p.m. on my back porch) however, what did pioneers do?

I am using almost exculsively hot water and vinegar to clean surfaces in my country kitchen. It does not take long for grime to build up; I am convinced vinegar is just as good or better than purchasing commerical items. I also do not have to worry about residue left behind and it is a great deodorizer.


Thoughts from inside the coop......

No comments: