We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hubby's Sopa (Made With Fideo)



This is so easy and economical to make and he calls it Sopa.  He has many ways of varying the flavor by using different ingrediants but this is our family favorite:

1 Box Vermicelli (Fideo) noodles
1 can tomato sauce
1 can ranch style beans
3 cloves garlic
4 cups water
1 lb 97% lean meat (don't have to add for a vegetarian version)
3 Tbsp Grapeseed oil (or your choice -- I have used butter in a crunch.)

Open your canned goods

Heat the oil on medium add garlic, crunch the noodles in box, pour into oil and sautee til some are brown.  Add water, tomato sauce, and ranch beans heat to near bubbly.  Add meat in really small pieces and then just cook until  the meat is done and sauce thickens. 

We serve with heated flour tortillas and there are never any leftovers. So easy even this gringa makes it.  Next time, I will make his special Mexican rice.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Sharon said...

That sounds good (and easy) but what flavor are ranch style beans? I never heard of 'em. I may be in the wrong part of the country - what would be a comparable substitute?

Nekkid Chicken said...

Sharon, I would suppose it is chili flavored beans. NO MEAT Ranch is a brand here and you can choose between plain, onions, or jalapeno flavored. I use the onion one when I can find it.

Judy's Corner said...

OK, another yummy recipe to try...always looking for new and different tastes...this one sounds very good!

Anonymous said...

It sounds good. I can't wait to try it. I think I have everything, except I'll have to use the butter instead of grapeseed oil.

Have a great day.
Pam

sunset pines farm said...

this really sounds easy and looks meaty and yummy.
I have a dolmates surprise coming next week, Mal. I know you are a fellow addict.
Sharon, we have ranch beans here in GA and they come in several flavors. Look in your canned beans/vegetables section.

Chicken Boys said...

My friend from San Antonio used to make that for me. I love it, but haven't had it in 10 years. But seeing the word Sopa made me want some sopapillas.
~Randy