We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Friday, April 10, 2009

Snake rescue at sunset

Late yesterday afternoon, my husband was out watering our muscadine starters when he found this poor racer caught in deer netting we keep around our plants. Of course, both of us are animals lovers so, he called me out to help him untangle this four foot long snake.

She was so tangled; he started using scissors while I, with one hand full of a towel with new hatched, wet chicks held its tail. After a few minutes with my eyes adjusting; I took the chicks back inside to get a better pair of scissors, knife and plus get boots on

-- why am I always in slip on shoes when things like this happen? So back outside I go while he is still trying to free her. Zephyr is there with us too, in his boots but little else and I am worried she will strike from pain and fear at anything near her.

Back outside it registers in my brain she has or was in the process of a shed because her body was slick. Yep, I held her bare handed and her dry cooling body texture registered. What surprises me is; our guinea fowl did not find her there helpless. With two free hands, I asked my husband to pull her straight and started cutting her out and much to my dismay we free her but, she still had some netting wrapped around her body. While she is free outside; I guess we freed her so she may die with some dignity and freedom. I must say not once did she try to snap at one of us but just wanted to get away. Saenz managed to come out just as I snipped the last strand holding her body down and she took off.


What concerns me most about this experience is Zephyr. Because we were so calm trying to help get the snake out of the net; maybe he will think it is okay to get close to all snakes. I can see we will have our work cut out for us as parents since western diamondback rattlers are plentiful in our area.

Can you see the moon peeking through the clouds in front of it?


Hats off to my husband! You have made great strides with learning about animals and being a champion of care. Each day you surprise me with small acts of kindness (JUST NOT TOWARD OBAMA -- you two are both so stubborn ~;>) and hard work.

Chick count this morning is ten inside the brooder with another ten eggs with PIP holes in them. Our cats, Topsy & Turvy did extremely well with not knocking over the incubator. I don't believe they want to 'willingly' harm the hatchlings but, want to play with them. Either way, they have to be kept separated. I hope y'all are well in your slice of heaven!

Thoughts from inside the coop....

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'd like to think that I could do the same if I found a snake trapped in my yard. Then afterwards I'd make sure no snake ever came in again. I'm sure Seanz will understand the difference.
That's a beautiful photo of the moon.

Nekkid Chicken said...

Howdy Jen! I hope your move has you settled in well? I think my conscience would have bothered me to no end to not help the snake. It was in so much pain and was afraid. You would not be able to walk away either; you mother instinct would have kicked into overdrive. Much Love, Mal