We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sad to report, we seen a dead:


Picture is from National Geographic here:

Coral Snake, someone had taken care to run over it in the middle of a country road. What is really sad is these animals will not bite unless messed with. Animals in captivity only live 6 or 7 years, have few offspring in their clutch which hatch from eggs. What is more sad to think of; in three years of traveling our country roads this was the first coral snake we have come across.
While, I don't want my boys to come across one of these; I do take the time to explain to my sons to not handle or panic around dangerous animals. I do not advocate the use of a motor vehicle to destroy such a beautiful animal that was minding it's own business forgaging for food. My husband and I have both seen folks in cars swerve to kill a snake on the road even it they are killing a protected species like the blue indigo. Sorry just a little saddened by the cruelty of people.
Thoughts from inside the coop.....
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/eastern-coral-snake.html
another website with a picture that closely resembled the snake we seen.
http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/snakes/micrurus.fulvius.html

No comments: