We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Friday, June 12, 2009

Movie Review: Milk

"If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door."

Harvey Milk

Last night I watched 'Milk' with Sean Penn. I fully understand why Mr. Penn won an Oscar -- he was flawless and transformed his entire body into his character. Only deep respect, love, understanding, compassion and admiration for the slain civil rights activist could have completely made Mr. Penn into Harvey Milk. Because of this movie, I will now look for more information regarding the gay civil rights movement on this topic.

Though as a child living in California (ages 11 - 12 at the time of his campaign, election & later murder), I was unaware politically of this situation. My mom and aunt did not allow us to camp in front of television and even limited our radio exposure to country music. I am saddened by this censorship because I was made aware of the Jim Jones massacre and in a strange way I feel cheated.

Thinking back to how sheltered I was as a child is --illuminating. I can only resolve not to censor my own children and their right to know about the world around them with reason.

Mr. Penn and Mr. Milk, I salute you both. Extraordinary human beings you both are and were.

Parental Advisory: There are very open sexual situations in this movie between male characters. There is language, drugs and alcohol. And with the homosexual themes many folks will find the scenes uncomfortable (but not the message of the film) and they should because no one should be denied the right to be "who they are, who they want to love, who they want to become, or who fight for." JMHO

My salute is 5 beaks up, ^^^^^

No comments: