This whole thing with General McCrystal has me looking back. Really, a 30 year veteran of foreign wars decided to buck the system and let his 'disrespect' stay in print for the Rolling Stone? Let's examine why:
1. He is a cowboy, special ops, and thus does not do well in the ‘mamby-pamby’ world of political correctness. HOWEVER, he did depart from the Uniformed Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and as a non-commissioned officer or lower enlisted would have lost his entire career to courts martial. (THIS ALONE SHOULD MAKE THE PUBLIC WONDER: Who is protecting his six.)
2. If you look at McCrystal's history; he has been in other controversial events throughout his career for instance; the Pat Tillman event, Prisoner abuse scandal, Disrespecting the Obama Administration last fall for foot dragging, Information Leaks, and Drone incidents which killed civilians.
3. Obama had no choice but to accept his resignation. To not take it would have shown weakness even though McCrystal was not the enemy. Obama's enemy is lack of resolve and not doing anything without stuffing pockets of other industrialists and Wall Streeters.
4. McCrystal could not have gone back to the Middle East theatre as a commander; with his tail tucked inside his camo's either. Remember friendly fire goes both ways.
5. Now while McCrystal is still on active duty; quietly sometime in the future he will retire and go on to a contractor job working for some entity like Fox News, Halliburton or even BP. Mind you though, he will be gainfully employed and pretty comfortable too with his military retirement plus, new salary.
6. Did anyone not see General Patreaus not coming back in to fill the shoes in Afghanistan? I mean hell, I called it -- get this I am not even a military or new analyst. Why did I call this; simple General Patreaus is a politicians 'wet dream' as far as -- he is calculated when following orders. He dot his I's and crosses his T's; he is a manager in the full sense plus, he was in theatre had already had Middle East experience and diplomatic ties there.
7. McCrystal was not the Good Guy riding on white stead to save the day. Nope, he got fed up after figuring out the war in Afghanistan is not winnable. He got tired of no one listening, the Obama administration bickering, the diplomacy required to keep those oil fields in our pockets, and seeing his soldiers (countless wounded and dying) fight against stupidity. Not to mention all the civilian casualties. He abandoned his post and left his man in the hands of others.
8. Does anyone remember the story about the minerals found in Afghanistan? I wonder if this will become our new oil fields in which, our servicemen and women will enrich with their blood.
While it is true, NO ONE MAN can win a war but; all it takes is one man with a magic ball point pen to end it.
Psstttttt, I am not finished on this post just taking a break.