We Are Deep In the Heart of Texas

Nomadic seasons of farming adventures with nature thrown in to include; a pinch of family, snippets of friends, counting our blessings, paying IT forward, home school, and the spicy things I decide to rant about.















Friday, November 11, 2011

On Veteran's Day: I Can't Explain Why

On this day of thanking our nation's veterans; I am hard pressed to explain to my sons and husband why I cry when watching or hearing:

the National Anthem, TAPS, Saluting the Flag or President, taking an oath of office, listening to prayers for peace, attending a funeral, visiting a memorial for the fallen, the Passing of the Colors, or witnessing those gathered in ceremonies to recognize veterans or our fallen. 

I well up for all those families, co-workers, and friends who have waited for months or years for their loved ones to come home.  I just bawl for those who will never again slip their loved ones into their embrace. 

As a veteran, I love my country with all her blessings and flaws and though I never stepped foot onto a battle field; I weep from feeling guilty of not being chosen to stand by those who did.  It's not that I feel cheated but, I feel like I cheated because of not being there with my 'band of brothers.' 

It is so hard to explain to my sons how being in the military; I served in only support roles. Or convey the unity of standing in a flight, with the smell of starch so strong;  it caused hunger pangs in the wee mornings during reveille's beaconing call to duty. Somethings I can only tell them about from a point of view that is still burns in my soul at the sound of a band's first solemn note -- taking me back to my youth and honor as a airman.

Another point, I can not tell them what it is to be a man in uniform so there are times I just can not speak since, I am a woman.  I can only allow them to see my tears on days such as this. On this day, I pray for peace and say thanks to all who have served to include friends and family of those who did.

May God be with you,
USAF RET,
Mal Torres
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=radaOA0eFsw (Army Cadence Ad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8-XkPJXhCw&feature=related (Air Force Cadence)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7MlFdFs1z0&feature=related (Marine Cadence)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qv0CJnTtn8 (Navy Cadence)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1E1F5x85-g&feature=related (National Guard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x__WAj170F0 (Coast Guard)

4 comments:

Jim said...

Hello Mal. Thanks for dropping by today, it is always good to hear from you.
What a generous thing to do teach your children....to show how you really feel is nothing to be ashamed of. It is teaching them a valuable lesson. This is a very moving day indeed.So many memories for so many people. My Dad chooses to be very quiet on this day.

Sharon said...

Hi Mal!
I cry too, no explanation for it.

Vickie said...

Mal, altho I am not in the service, I DO cry when the National Anthem is sung. I feel pride and patriotism in my country and have the utmost gratitude and respect for those who've served and those families who've made the ultimate sacrifice.

Nekkid Chicken said...

Thanks Jim, Sharon, and Vickie!

I appreciate all your comments and thoughts. Many hugs for all of your experiences. Mal